Monday, April 05, 2010

Training to be a Therapy Dog

So, know you know that it took a while, but my mom figured out a great thing for the 2 of us to do together.  I was to be a therapy dog!  So many questions!  Can I do it?  What is it?  Will I be up to the task?  Will it be fun? 

Well, I found out all of the answers and more.  My mother decided to take me to Bolton Veterinary Hospital for my therapy dog training.  We took a class for 13 weeks every Sunday.  It was pretty hard work.  The training teaches you to behave politely around people and other dogs.  They teach you things like "paws up" so that you may be pet easier by folks in wheelchairs.  Grooming is an important part of being a therapy dog.  I have to say, it is my least favorite part.  All of that brushing!  and spraying and nail cutting!  But since I do SO love mud puddles and water I guess its only right.  I get lots of nice tasty chicken for getting my nails done so how bad can it really be anyway? 

Being a Therapy Dog means I get to wear a pretty cool uniform also.  Its a handsome blue vest that I wear proudly. 

We have a couple of places that I enjoy going to and make people smile - but my favorite is a local library.  The library staff are just wonderful and make me feel so welcome!  My main job is to hang out during story hour and listen to the stories being read.  Then, I get to say hello to the kids, see what projects they are doing and give big sloppy kisses if they let me. 

Can't wait to go to the library - I'm all dressed up and ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment